Office of Assessment, Accreditation, and Academic Program Planning

Student Complaint Logs

SACSCOC, UNCG’s accrediting body, states in its Academic and Student Support Services Principle 12.4 (Student complaints):
“The institution (a.) publishes appropriate and clear procedures for addressing written student complaints, (b.) demonstrates that it follows the procedures when resolving them, and (c.) maintains a record of student complaints that can be accessed upon request by SACSCOC.”

Since the recording of student complaints is done at the unit and department level, the Office of Assessment, Accreditation, and Academic Program Planning collects summary logs of these complaints on a annual basis. The logs contain the basic information about the complaint, and a summary of its resolution. Documentation of the resolution is retained in any office contacted about the complaint. By having available the logs and supporting evidence, UNCG is able to provide proof to the visiting accrediting team or University Counsel that we follow university procedures when addressing the complaints.

On this page you will find resources to guide you in collecting the needed information, provide a timeline, and answer questions.

The video below provides training regarding the use of student complaint logs.

Student Complaint Log template
Student Policy Handbook

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

The UNC system provides an alternate means of filing complaints for those students unable to resolve complaints using the institution's procedures.

If your student was unable to resolve a complaint through the institution's grievance procedures, please let them know that they have other options. They can review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print out and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

For more information, you may call (919) 962-4550 or send an email.

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. If you live outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection
Attorney General's Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001